Understanding Goodreads for Authors With Julie Whitely, Goodreads Librarian

Understanding Goodreads for Authors

Goodreads has been a mystery to many authors who would like to make better use of the site without making etiquette mistakes. It was my good fortune to meet Goodreads librarian, Julie Whitely, who has come to our rescue. I collected a list of the biggest concerns to authors and Julie has graciously addressed them in this informative and helpful blog. She is sharing a lot good information and tips. I appreciate that Julie is, above all, a lover of books, as are all the participants on Goodreads.

Now, from Julie:

First of all, I would like to thank Cheryl for inviting me to be a guest on her blog.

As a reader, I never really gave much thought to Goodreads from the author's perspective. Well, I am thinking about it now that I have put my foot in it. I mentioned on Facebook a couple of weeks ago that authors and publishers were not using the site to their advantage. It seemed that authors were assuming their books were being added by little fairies. Of course that wasn’t the case, so many books are missing. I stop several times a day to add a book I want to put on my own Goodreads shelf. This had me thinking that someone somewhere was sleeping on the job, and that authors were missing out on valuable free exposure.


I got more responses than I could ever have imagined. I learned that most authors have shouldered the responsibility of promotion, but ma...

To read the rest of this great article, click the link to Cheryl St. Johns website:

From the Heart...Cheryl St.John: Understanding Goodreads for Authors With Julie Whi...:

No comments: