Pulled Pork with Tart Barbecue Sauce



Today I made pulled pork sandwiches with a southern-style vinegar-based barbecue sauce. The result? Scrumptious!

I usually use a tomato-based sauce, but I wanted to try something different. Boy, was this different—deliciously so.

To cook the pork:

4 pound pork butt
1 large sweet onion (Vidalia), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ cups water
drizzle of olive oil, about a tablespoon (optional)

Place all ingredients into the crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until the pork is tender and succulent. Remove the pork from the crock pot and let it cool in a large bowl for a bit. Shred the pork, using two forks. You can discard the cooking liquid, or if you're like me, you can save it, covered in the fridge, and use it in something else later on.

Carolina-style Barbecue Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more for an extra spicy result)
The above ingredients completed the recipe I found online, but this sauce was too tart for my palate, so I added:
1 tablespoon ketchup

Stir together all ingredients and heat in a pan long enough for the sugar to melt. Pour over pulled pork and serve on your favorite rolls. I used potato rolls. Very delicious!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooh! Sounds lovely.